Saturday, March 17, 2012

Back to Basics cont...

I like using ricotta cheese in different recipes including one of my versions of pimiento cheese in my cookbook.
Pimiento Cheese
4 oz. ricotta cheese
¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon chopped pimientos
Pinch of salt
1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper

First process the ricotta cheese until smooth. (this step can be eliminated because fresh ricotta is smoother than store bought) Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients until combined.
Yields: about 1 ½ cups
This version is best used in hot dishes. Serve the pimeinto cheese spread over slices of bread and toasted until cheese melts.

Buttermilk Ricotta Cheese
4 cups good quality whole milk (I used Country Girl Creamery, a local dairy that sells their milk in my town's grocery stores)
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt (more can be added if ricotta is served by itself)

Bring to a boil the milk and buttermilk in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Once the milk mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
Allow the mixture to stand for 15 minutes.
Line a wire strainer with cheesecloth and set it over a deep bowl. Pour the milk mixture through, trapping the curds in the cheesecloth and let drain for 15 minutes.
Bring the cheesecloth around the curds and gently squeeze to release any excess liquid.
Turn out onto a plate and serve at room temperature or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I served the ricotta cheese with a drizzle of olive oil and slices of pear and toasted baguette.

8 comments:

  1. the method is almost like making Paneer [cottage cheese]!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this a few weeks ago. If you add lemon juice or vinegar to the remaining liquid (reheat if necessary), it makes paneer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? That's all there is to it?! Wow, thanks so much for the recipe, I'm definitely doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off to make a lasagna, now that I can make my own ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the reason the small business consulting company of your choice should have expertise.
    sap bpc consulting

    ReplyDelete
  6. This taste delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea it was possible to make ricotta cheese at home.

    I really love the way you always think about health and nutrition while you're cooking. I feel your next cookbook should be about eating healthier. I think you have tons of excellent recipes and tips for people looking for a healthier life. I love the way you're not into obsessively dieting but more into selecting the right fresh ingredients, finding the right balance in salt and/or fat and having a better lifestyle. It's really enlightening, thank you.

    Clare

    ReplyDelete