Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Warm up with my Grown-Up S'mores

Cold weather isn't something that South Mississippi encounters too often but we are just now getting a taste of it. It doesn't take much for me to start breaking out the hot chocolate and marshmallows to warm up. Check out my homemade hot chocolate and agave marshmallow recipe in my cookbook-Modern Hospitality.

Snap, crackle and pop are the sounds of bon fires on cold fall nights. My family and I love to host bon fires for family and friends. My mom and I scavange in our closets for wire coat hangers to skewer marshmallows. I love sandwiching my toasted marshmallow between chocolate and graham crackers.

To satisfy my s'mores craving, I created a s'more that can be enjoyed both inside and out. This isn't just any kind of s'mores though. Try not to drool as I describe the layers of flavor in my Grown-Up S'more. A warm, chocolatey, gooey, mini molten lava cake sits atop a graham cracker then topped with a torched marshmallow.
To create this masterpiece, I spoon my Molten Lava Cakes for A Crowd (recipe found in my cookbook- Modern Hospitality) batter into a mini muffin pan. Bake for about 3 minutes on 400 degrees. Center of the cakes will be slightly gooey.

Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, using a mini square cookie cutter, cut mini squares into graham crackers.
Run a butter knife around the sides of the cakes. To unmold, place a baking sheet on the top of the muffin tin and flip over. Place a molten lava cake atop a mini graham cracker.
Cut large marshmallows in half. Place a marshmallow half or a mound of mini marshmallows on top of the molten lava cake.

Toast the marshmallow with a torch. *If you don't have a torch, place marshmallow halves on a baking sheet (cut side up). Bake on 450 degrees until lightly golden brown.

If you think this s'more is already over-the-top, wait until you hear what I created for Mississippi's Stennis Space Center's 50th Anniversary Gala. I was asked to create a special dessert for the occasion. When I think of NASA, I think of rockets and fire. I automatically thought of s'mores and fire. I created a Rocket S'more.
Toasted Tang flavored homemade marshmallow atop a molten lava cake and graham cracker crumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment