Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Creativity in Presentation

White Chocolate Bread Pudding (recipe below)
Today I demoed my White Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe from my cookbook on the WLOX news. I like to serve the white chocolate bread pudding with a white chocolate sauce and fresh raspberries or a raspberry coulis (sauce).
I could not get raspberries fresh or frozen at my local grocery store. I decided to stop at a grocery store on my way to gulfport to buy raspberries. As I got closer to the news station, I did not see a grocery store around. I didn't want to serve the white on white dessert by itself without a pop of color. I drove to a gas station just past the news station to look for anything that I could use. I put my creativity to work in the convenience store. I looked for anything berry related from jellies to juices.
And this is the cliff hanger.........

What do you think I used to give my bread pudding a pop of color and elegant presentation?

Write in the comment section of my blog about what you think I used from the convenience store. A randomly chosen person will win a Ghirardelli heart box of chocolate squares. Perfect for your Valentine! Contest ends Friday night at midnight.

To portion control this dessert, spoon the bread pudding mixture into 2 greased muffin tins. Bake the bread pudding for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then run a knife around the individual bread puddings and transfer to dessert plates. Enjoy!

White Chocolate Bread Pudding
Sometimes bread pudding can be thought of as a “heavy” dessert. My recipe with its special ingredient of light and airy French bread is not the usual “dense” bread pudding. And, the taste of delicious custard and warm white chocolate sauce will leave you wanting more!  

7 oz. French bread, crust removed & cut into 1” cubes (about 8 cups)
3 large eggs
7 large egg yolks
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
3 ½ cups half-and-half
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
1 cup good- quality white chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract

White Chocolate Sauce
1 cup good quality white chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9- inch glass baking dish.
To make the bread pudding: Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to the baking dish.

Whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a large bowl.

Combine the half-and-half and 1 cup of the heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until hot, about 7 minutes. Whisking constantly, slowly add hot milk mixture to the egg mixture.

Melt the white chocolate with the remaining 2 Tbsp. heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat.

Pour the white chocolate into the egg mixture, stirring occasionally. Stir in the vanilla.

Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over the bread cubes. Lightly press the cubes into the milk mixture to submerge them. Bake until the bread has absorbed the liquid and is lightly toasted, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

To make the white chocolate sauce: Melt the chocolate with the heavy cream in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Serve the bread pudding warm with white chocolate sauce drizzled over the top.

Serves: 8 to10





18 comments:

  1. Gummi bears (or another gummi candy)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberries would be my first guess, some kind of orange or lemon zest would be my second guess!!

    Tirzah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Ann and Tirzah I wish I would have been at a conveience store that offered fresh fruit. There was not a real piece of fruit to be seen in the whole place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tootsie Dots Assorted Fruit Gumdrops Candy ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chuck you won the Ghirardelli heart chocolate box! Please leave a comment with your email address. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was about to give up when I saw a strawberry fruit filled cereal bar. Yes, I said a cereal bar. I bought the cereal bar and quickly headed to the news station. At this point I didn't know quite how I would use the bar but I knew I would have to extract the fruit filling.
    I plated the white chocolate bread pudding into a pool of white chocolate sauce. After cutting away the outer "cereal" part, I removed the strawberry filling and thinned the jelly like consistency with a little hot water. The consistency was just thin enough for me to drop a few crimson dots into the sauce. The pop of color was the perfect touch to my dessert’s presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's Awesome. Very happy my convenience store snack knowledge has FINALLY paid off! Gotta ♥ those crimson dots! Nothing better for pop of color and elegant presentation!! lol Thank you Miss Whitney :) My e-mail address is cdoug2662@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Whitney!
    I'm one of your biggest italian fan since I followed on Masterchef. I think you're really a great chef for your ability and your stunning homemade-kitchen dishes, and so I really desire to recreate your Bread Pudding to taste it to friends and relatives, but unfortunately I don't get what haf-and-half stands for :( It should be an alcohol or a dairy product? Could you gently enlighten me? :)

    Affectionately Domenico :)

    ReplyDelete