Sunday, January 1, 2012

Luck and Prosperity for 2012!

Do you and your family enjoy the tradition of eating black eyed peas, cabbage, and sometimes ham and cornbread on New Years? I grew up with my mom preparing my family this meal on New Years.
Field Peas with Okra and Andouille Sausage pg. 76
I love black eyed peas and field peas so much that I put a recipe in my cookbook. I used field peas but you can substitute them for black eyed peas. To me, the difference between them is in the texture. Field peas are creamier.
Braised Cabbage and Onions pg. 64
The braised cabbage is so flavorful because the cabbage soaks up the chicken broth as it cooks. This year I actually prepared "little cabbages" brussel sprouts this way.
Along with ham, I had to make my crunchy and moist castiron jalapeno cornbread. I placed a pat of butter on my slice of cornbread and took a bite. I got a surprise ha ha! While I was eating it, it was like biting into popcorn. There were bits of crunchy pieces and not in a good way. So what happened was...when I was making the cornbread, I used a combination of fine and coarse cornmeal unlike what my recipe calls for which is just the fine. Adding the coarse cornmeal was a bad choice lol.  Lesson learned!
Overall, the meal was great and it brought a few laughs. Hopefully it will bring my family and I luck and prosperity this year. I have never been one to say I am lucky. I say that I am blessed which is so true and speaks to my faith.


He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. " Matthew 17:20

I pray you have a blessed and happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Not cabbage around here, collard greens. And cornbread just naturally goes with everything else on the menu! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds great. I usually have collard greens rather than cabbage. I love cooking Andouille sausage with the black eyed peas although sometimes I go with ham hocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Whitney that is! And yes, if we have faith in anything in the world, then it is possible for sure.

    I tasted a very tasty mississipi mud pie at some restaurant 3 days back. Have you heard about it?

    And, No, we do not have any such tradition lol. Instead, we had set up a small bonfire in the garden at my grandparent's and the ladies made butter chicken and a few more curries for the main course with butetr and garlic naan, roti and chappaatis and a lot of finger food for the starters as there were many people.
    Some of the snacks were jalapeno and cheese fingers, chilly paneer, salsa babycorn, corn nuggets and tandoori chicken.

    I experimented a bit and made 4 different dips using the hung curd my grandma made wonderful green chutney and served them with kebabs.

    I was the incharge for the desserts and I made chocolate-chip pudding. It was yum!

    I wish you and your family a very happy new year Whitney.

    ReplyDelete