Monday, December 19, 2011

Big Family Breakfast

My family started a new family tradition a few years ago. As my sisters and I got older, we didn't care to get up really early to open presents. Once everyone awoke we would all get in the kitchen to make a big breakfast. My dad mans the egg station with his famous light and fluffy scrambled eggs. My mom makes the grits and white gravy for the biscuits. Brittyn, my younger sister, cooks the bacon and I make the biscuits and anything else we decide to have that year.

I am not that big of a breakfast eater so on a every day basis, I do not eat a big breakfast but I look forward to my family's Christmas morning breakfast. I have a fantastic muffin recipe that I created Sunday morning. I was craving a peach crumb muffin. My mom and I had an awesome one at a bakery in New York City. I decided I was going to recreate that muffin and I did even better. The muffin's moistness and light texture was a unique component because most muffins are dense. The crumb topping is crunchy and sweet. Yum!

My peach crumb muffins would be a great addition to your family's breakfast. Maybe your family will want to join in my family's tradition of preparing a big breakfast on Christmas.

Peach Crumb Muffins
4 Tbsp. melted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cane sugar (or granulated sugar)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 large egg
1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
3 Tbsp. whole milk
2 Tbsp. agave nectar (you can use honey)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
about 1 cup medium cubed peaches (I used thawed frozen peaches)
Crumb Topping:
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 11 muffin liners.
Set the melted butter aside to cool slightly while you mix the dry ingredients.

In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.

In another mixing bowl, beat the egg with a whisk. Add the slightly cooled butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in the buttermilk, milk, agave, and vanilla until incorporated.
Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in three fourths of the dry ingredients into the wet. *Folding the ingredients in will help to produce a light muffin. Do not overmix!
Add the peaches into the bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients. Toss to coat peaches. Fold the peaches and rest of dry ingredients into the muffin batter.

Fill the 11 muffin liners with batter.
To prepare the crumb topping, mix together the butter and sugar with your hands until incorporated. Stir in the flour, cinnamon, and pecans.
Top each muffin with the topping.
Bake muffins for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Makes 11 muffins

Today's Gift: I am extending Saturday's gift to today because my blog didn't get posted until late so I am giving you all the opportunity to win my New Orleans package
The beignet mix and coffee will be a perfect addition to your family's Christmas breakfast!
Today's question: What is your favorite breakfast item?
Include your name and email address with your answer

*Friday's blog post will be a very special one! More info on it later on*

19 comments:

  1. These peach muffins look delish.

    My favorite breakfast is Sweet Potato Pancakes with Praline Sauce!

    Jaclyn Beaty
    jaclyn.beaty@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite breakfast is Pan De Sal and scrambled eggs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fav breakfast item, that's a tough question! Maybe eggs over-easy, yolks dipped in buttered toast with bacon or sausage covered in syrup. I know that's more than one item, but a little egg, toast and syrup covered sausage in one bite is perfect! Pancakes are a close runner-up. When I still lived with my parents we did the same thing, but it was after we opened gifts. We all went to the kitchen to make a big breakfast, when I was small I was in charge of making the toast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't wait to try this yummy looking muffins! Thanks for sharing Whitney!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite breakfast dish is to take all of the other other things that we cook on Christmas morning (eggs, hashbrowns, hot sausage, homemade jelly/perserves) and stick them in the middle of a biscuit. mmmmmm mmmmmm.

    jonathanjenkins82@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from Vietnam and I eat "Banh Bao" (dumplings) or "Xoi" (sticky rice) for breakfast. They are delicious and I wish you would try them some day.

    I'm a big fan of yours since MC Season 1. Is there any chance I can receive your giveaway for this Christmas season? That would mean a lot to me.

    Happy Holidays Whitney!

    My email: tranhuyenhai@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to try the muffins! My favorite breakfast item is a breakfast casserole of any type with all ingredients for breakfast in one dish.

    leannpool@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ***Seasoned Chicken and Sweet Potato Waffles***
    Topped with Pure Maple Syrup or Honey. Best breakfast EVER!!!!!

    jimmyandkristiana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homemade sausage gravy and biscuits.....we only eat it on the holidays because we know it's not really healthy but so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bacon. That's my favorite thing for breakfast.

    Thanks for creating the yellow squash recipe for me! :)

    Natalie
    purrfectsparkles@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister makes a type of breakfast roll on Christmas mornings (maybe the rest of the year too, but that's the only time I'm ever there that early). It's a mix of breakfast sausage and cream cheese between layers of crescent rolls, and it is absolutely wonderful - very heavy, but I can't stop myself from eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a simple kind of girl...my favorite breakfast food is pancakes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have to go with homemade waffles :)

    llukomsky@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Christine you are the randomly selected winner

    ReplyDelete