Saturday, December 10, 2011

Don't Hide the Veggies

My mission is to highlight the flavor of vegetables and not hide them into foods.
I got to share my mission through writing an article for an Atlanta based magazine- Flavors.

View the article by clicking on the link. http://flavorsmagazine.com/spotlight.html

A healthy treat that the kids will love this Christmas is my Snowman Apple.


Snowman Apples
4 small Granny Smith apples
4 popsicle sticks
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
4 large marshmallows
pretzel sticks (arms)
fruit leather (scarf)
raisins (buttons)
candy coated sunflower seeds (nose & eyes)

Wash and dry apples. Secure sticks into apples.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt peanut butter and honey. Stir to combine.
Coat apples into peanut butter mixture and place on paper plates or squares of wax paper.
Now let the kids have fun decorating their snowman. Place the marshmallow through the stick (this is his head). The rest can be up to the kids.

Serves 4

Today's question- What vegetable do you not like but would be interested in trying prepared in a new way?
Please include your name and email address.
Today's gift- I will create a dish using the vegetable the winner suggests.

11 comments:

  1. I have yet to actually find a vegetable I don't like. I am sure there has to be one out there but I have yet to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Whitney, apples aren't vegetables!

    I like ALL vegetables, Oooooooooooh yeah.

    But I try to avoid strachy lower-nutrient ones like white potatoes. Southern food is awesome for usually substituting with sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like yellow squash. Something about the texture feels weird to me.
    Natalie
    Purrfectsparkles@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mia I didn't even think about that I posted a fruit recipe when I was talking about veggies lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. never tasted bitter gourd in my entire life. and do u have anything for sprouts for vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I trird broccoli rabe a few weeks ago for the first time, and I have to say, ick. Does it always taste that way or is there a way to prepare it to cut the bittterness? Also, beets. I see them on shows like Hell's Kitchen and other places but honestly, my mom had to force me to eat them when I was little. How do I make them taste delish?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like broccoli but I think there could be new ways to prepare it. I find it tolerable in a spicy thai dish when its still on the raw side. Ladyangelarenee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i guess you havent announced the winner of the previous blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love veggies. I use to never like Beet's only because growing up i never tasted a fresh one. my mother only cooked the canned one's. Eww, yuck >b
    But now, oh how they are good sauteed till tender and added to a arugula and butter lettuce salad topped with goat cheese and you can pour a little sauteed juices on the greens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Natalie you are the winner! I think you will like the texture of squash prepared this way. It is squash pickles.
    About 4 cups sliced small yellow squash
    1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
    salt
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup cane sugar
    ¼ tsp. ground mustard
    1 tsp. celery seed
    1 tsp. mustard seed

    Layer squash and onion slices on a baking sheet. Sprinkle salt over vegetables and let stand for 1 hour. Place vegetables in a colander. Lightly rinse and drain. Then place vegetables onto a layer of paper towels. Pat dry.

    In a medium saucepot over medium heat, add vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add seasoning. Add squash and onions.
    Bring vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl to cool on counter for 1 hour.
    Spoon into mason jars and refrigerate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Whitney! This is so awesome. I am so going to try for Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete