Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Two Peas in a Pod

I am asked a lot about how I came up with all of the recipes in my cookbook.  Well it takes being inspired and having creativity. I get inspired to create recipes by experiences such as eating at a restaurant or talking with people about their favorite foods. I also get inspired from my favorite food combinations like sweet potatoes and peanut butter. I love both of the ingredients but would you really think about combining the two???? Well, one day I decided to slather peanut butter on my baked sweet potato instead of butter. I loved the flavor! So when I was working on my cookbook, I thought back on that flavor combination and knew that it could work in a dessert. And that is how my Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Blondies were born (created).

These are perfect for gift giving!

Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Blondies
Unsalted butter, for greasing baking dish
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
2/3 cup peanut butter
2 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan with unsalted butter.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a small bowl.
In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Stir in the beaten eggs, sweet potato, peanut butter, vanilla, and cinnamon until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix well.
Spread the batter evenly in the baking dish. Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.  Cut the blondies into squares or desired shapes.
Serves: 8 to 10
 This recipe along with other great Southern inspired and entertaining recipes are found in my cookbook- Modern Hospitality: Simple Recipes with Southern Charm.
My question and gift today go hand-in-hand.
Question: What is your favorite flavor combination?
Remember to include your name and email address with your answer.

The gift today is that I will create a special recipe for the winner using his or her favorite flavor combination.

25 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Chocolate and Peppermint :)
    I think its the season clouding my judgement, but that's all I'm seeming to bake at the moment. :)
    -Carlos.
    VidalesCarlos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite flavor combination would be chocolate and peppermint! I've been having chocolates flavored that way lately, they are so delicious!!

    Thanks Whitney!
    Tirzah

    wiserstill(underscore)tirzah(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinnamon and peanut butter!

    Christina
    heelsandmeals@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry for the several re-posts.
    anyways, favorite flavor combinations-

    1. onion and garlic,
    or
    2. blueberry and chocolate

    -Sheenam Puri
    sheenam_puri@yahoo.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate and raspberry is my favorite combination. Or white chocolate and peppermint!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tough question.

    Ooh, wait. I've got it.

    I love the Chocolate + Chipotle combination. Really gives my brownies a kick! :)

    moseyem@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine is mango and curry.

    Natalie
    purrfectsparkles@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dreamt last night that you were in Memphis giving away cake samples. You had a caramel cake, a strawberry cake, and a coconut cream cake. I chose the coconut cake. The cream was made with coconut milk. Which reminds me I really like coconut and curry mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. cinnamon and maple syrup :)
    Seamus Dover
    s.dover@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so many odd flavor combinations that I love. Here are some of my favorites.

    Rice w/honey
    Sausage or crispy bacon dipped in syrup
    Chicken Nuggets and Honey
    Eggs w/Ketchup
    BBQ Fritos and Cream Cheese
    Tamales and Ketchup
    Sweet Potatoes with cinnamon and salt
    Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwiches
    Grilled cheese sandwiches with green apples in the middle
    Oh, and finally Doritos or any other chip inside my ham and cheese sandwiches.

    Thanks Whit!
    Brian Garcia
    limpbizkitownz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. bacon and chocolate
    choclate and salt
    cinnamon and coffee in my chili

    in general sweet and savory

    bjb61464@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Custard and coconut! In Trinidad, we combine the flavors to make home cream and pastries.

    Monique
    Trinimookie@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coconut and Ginger!

    Monique
    Trinimookie@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. my favorite combo.would b...chocolate,peanut butter and toffee.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmmm I like Chocolate and cranberry, bacon and choc. and cream chez with anything.

    Darlington358@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love the flavor of banana and peanut butter. yum! :)

    Maan
    nnncaspian@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lemon and garlic, hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Strawberries and chocolate :D

    nguyennhu_0609@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Mia you won! I will create a special recipe for you using chocolate and chipotle.

    ReplyDelete