Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ho Ho Hot Chocolate!


No matter how you serve it, milk or white chocolate or hot or cold (frozen), I love it!
The top picture is my mom and I at Vosges in Soho, NY having a hot white chocolate infused with lavender and vanilla. It was smooth and fragrant.
Below that picture is me indulging in a frozen hot chocolate at the famous Serendipity 3 in New York.It was pretty delish but I will caution you that you have to spend like $9 a person on your total order. I think they have several people who have just wanted to come in for the frozen hot chocolate like my mom, sisters, and I. I would save the trip there and make it at your house.

Ok so a little trivia or maybe it isn't trivia for you but it was new for me. Did you know that there is a difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate? Hot cocoa is made from cocoa powder, sugar, and milk. Hot chocolate is made from melting chocolate in hot milk.
I have always called it hot chocolate. I never said I want hot cocoa. So the question I am posting today is- Do you say hot cocoa or hot chocolate?
Don't forget to include with your answer, your name and email.

The gift today is Hot Chocolate on a stick from Sweetnuzz. It is a set of 6 variety package which includes milk or dark chocolate and flavors such as original, almond, and peppermint. Each are individually packaged which means you can enjoy one or two and gift the rest or keep them all for yourself. Haha! Serve homemade marshmallows with your cup of hot chocolate. Try my agave marshmallow recipe in my cookbook- Modern Hospitality: Simple Recipes with Southern Charm.

32 comments:

  1. Don't know if I am still eligible to enter or not, but I always said hot chocolate. Seems to me the "real" hot chocolate would be much more satisfying to me that my normal hot cocoa. ;)
    michelejoie at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. forever loving HOT CHOCOLATE! <3. I think for me hot cocoa taste abit more bitter and it has more of the cocoa powder taste, hot choco taste nicer for me as I always loved eating chocolatessss!! Its more milky too! :)
    Felicia
    Felfel1311@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always said hot chocolate! Any chance I have to say, eat, or drink, chocolate; I do!!

    loridaniels7@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on how I'm feeling. Some times I like the way that "chocolate" sounds. Some times I feel a bit more intelligent and say "cocoa"

    xarisumin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Northern Ohio and I've always called it hot cocoa, at least at home. And we always make it with water and thecocoa packets, instead of milk. I also love putting a bit of frozen whipped cream on top! But when I go out at a restaurant, I always call it hot chocolate, and it does tend to have a richer taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I really never considered there was a difference. I have always called it Hot Chocolate no matter how it is made.

    manoftalents (at) gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was growing up it was "Hot Cocoa" cause momma made it from the powdered Herseys cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always say Hot Chocolate. Just much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am from Trinidad and Tobago, and grew up with cocoa trees, vanilla beans, and spices, which made great cocoa tea, but in America I call it HOT COCOA.

    Monique
    Trinimookie@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hot cocoa, unless it's at Starbucks where they usually stare at you blankly until you clarify that you want a hot chocolate.

    Dave
    nsedet1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hot Chocolate

    Nicholas
    ngoldizen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely Hot Chocolate..... justs sounds more decadent

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely Hot Chocolate!

    gforcebay@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always said hot coco but melted chocolate to make it! Guess I was a little backwards, hut never knew there was a difference.

    Sarah Sarah.long75@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot Chocolate!!!

    michele0926@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two times in a row of forgetting my email! UGH!
    It's Hot Cocoa to me - best served with a stick of peppermint for stirring. Yummy peppermint hot cocoa on a cold winter day. YUM!

    deannaepler@gmail.com

    remembered this time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tend to think of 'cocoa' as the raw ingredient - cocoa powder, cocoa butter, etc. When we went to the tree farm this morning, it was hot chocolate that we drank.

    That said, I'm not too picky on what it's actually called. Traditionally (ie a couple hundred years ago), chocolate drinks were made by pouring hot/boiling water over cakes of chocolate that were more cocoa than cocoa butter.

    Ehh.. I'm rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is hot chocolate. I do not think of sweet, rich and creamy when I hear the word cocoa but do when I hear the word chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I refer to it as "Hot Chocolate" or "Coco." Usually the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hot chocolate is the only way that I've ever heard it said in south Mississippi!
    Haylee Burge
    hayleeburge@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wished I had some hot cocoa right now as its 38 degrees in NYC.

    Monique
    trinimookie@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Jonathan you won the hot chocolate on a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like more people say hot cocoa than hot chocolate. Hmmm very interesting lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks so good! Hmm - I think I use the terms interchangeably but think I use hot cocoa more than hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like to mix plain cocoa powder with equal parts of cayenne powder, cinnamon and honey :) My tribute to the ancient Aztec Xocoatl drink.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I NEVER knew there was a difference! That is so interesting. However, I have always called it hot chocolate, but I think i have actually been drinking hot cocoa all this time!

    ReplyDelete